Integrated Resource Planning
The Energy Planning and Management Program requires Western customers to periodically submit Integrated Resource Plans (IRP) or an approved alternative - Minimum Investment Report, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Report or Small Customer Plan.
The IRP must evaluate the full range of alternatives to provide adequate and reliable service to a customer’s electric consumers at the customer’s or member’s lowest system cost. Ideally, the planning process assesses new generating capacity, power purchases, energy conservation and efficiency, cogeneration and district heating and cooling applications and renewable energy resources. Robust public involvement should be a part of the process, as well, allowing the utility to share upcoming challenges with its consumers and to get their input on solutions that best address the community's diverse wishes and concerns.
In 2011, Western implemented three revisions to its IRP rules:
- Eliminating the requirement that members of a member-based association (MBA) unanimously approve the MBA's IRP
- Encouraging customers to cooperate on preparing regional IRPs
- Making customers' current IRPs more accessible to the public by placing them on Western's or the customer's Web site
Submit your annual IRP update online
Western offers step-by-step online reporting tools to streamline the process of submitting your annual integrated resource plan. Even if your reporting deadline isn't coming up, take a moment to explore these pages. Your suggestions for refining and improving these programs are always welcomed.
- Compliance training program – Guidelines for submitting your IRP, covering what each plan and annual report must contain by law; how Western reviews plans, evaluates compliance and monitors implementation.
- Data collection program – Standardized, pre-approved format for submitting the annual reports and alternative plans (Small Customer Plan, Minimum Investment Report or Energy Efficiency and/or Renewable Energy Report).
It is not mandatory for customers to use the IRP data collection program, just easier! If you would prefer to submit your report manually, contact your Energy Services representative to get the appropriate forms.
Below are more resources to help customers effectively plan to meet their consumers' needs:
Request further information or assistance on your own IRP.
Documents on this page require Adobe® Acrobat© Reader™ For people with visual disabilities: Adobe® Acrobat© accessibility information .