Hermosa West Wind Farm Project
Shell WindEnergy, Inc., proposes to construct up to 200 wind turbine generators with a combined total generating capacity of up to 300 megawatts, located south of Laramie and north of the state border, near Tie Siding in Albany County, Wyo. The turbines would be located in 11 north-south oriented strings of varying lengths, with the strings being about one-half mile apart.
In addition to the turbines, other proposed Project facilities would include all-weather access roads to each turbine location, underground power collection lines linking turbines to the Project substation, a Project substation, a short, high-voltage transmission line linking the Project substation to Western's transmission system, operation and maintenance facilities, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition equipment and metering equipment and a permanent meteorological tower.
SWE has applied to Western to interconnect the proposed Project to Western’s existing Craig-to-Ault 345-kilovolt transmission line in Albany County. The proposed Project substation would likely be co-located with Western's interconnection facility.
Western has prepared a draft environmental impact statement to address Western’s Federal action of interconnecting the proposed Project to Western’s transmission system and making any necessary modification to Western facilities to accommodate the interconnection. The EIS also reviews the potential environmental impacts of SWE's proposed Project. SWE will complete necessary coordination with State and local agencies to permit their proposed Project. Hard copies of the draft EIS are available for review at the Old Town Library, Harmony Library, and Council Tree Library in Fort Collins, Colo., at the Albany County Public Library in Laramie, Wyo., and at the Laramie County Library and Wyoming State Library in Cheyenne, Wyo.
Western to host public hearings
Western will host two public hearings where participants can learn more about the environmental analysis and provide comments. The meetings will include an open house from 3 to 6 p.m., a formal public hearing from 6 to 7 p.m., with time for questions and answers afterward.
- Oct. 29, 2012, 3 to 8 p.m. - Hilton Garden Inn and UW Conference Center, 2229 E. Grand Ave., Laramie, WY 82070
- Oct. 30, 2012, 3 to 8 p.m. - Little America Hotel & Resort, 2800 W. Lincolnway, Cheyenne, WY 82009
Draft EIS available, Western seeking public comments by Nov. 19, Oct. 5, 2012 news release
Notice of intent to prepare an environmental impact statement (59 kb pdf)
Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) (29 mb pdf) - Sept. 2012
- Appendices A, B, C (23 mb pdf); Facilities study, Threatened and Endangered Species Report, Surface Water Assessment Report
- Appendices D, E (43 mb pdf); Wetland Assessment reports, wildlife baseline studies
- Appendices F, G, H, I (4 mb pdf); Bat Acoustical studies, Tribal consultation letter, Paleontologic resources analysis, noise assessment
- Appendices J, K, L, M (5 mb pdf); Transportation analysis, Recreation and Land Use assessment, Social and economic impacts, lease area-
potential for developmnet of economic resources
- Appendices N, O, P, Q (32 mb pdf); Preliminary geotechnical investigation results, second geotechnical investigation results, phase 1
environmental site assessment, viewshed analysis
Noise Assessment - Mar. 2, 2010 (1.3 MB pdf)
Threatened and Endangered Species Report - Jan. 11, 2010 (25.2 MB pdf)
Viewshed Analysis - Oct. 23, 2009 (1.3 MB pdf)
Visual Simulations - Mar. 2, 2010 (3.2 MB pdf)
Wetland Assessment - Jan. 11, 2010 (113.9 MB pdf)
Comment form - mail-in (169 kb pdf)
Fact sheet (3.5 MB pdf)
Project description display board (1.5 MB pdf)
Project engineering display board (1.3 MB pdf)
Project participants and the NEPA process display board (1.5 MB pdf)
Scoping meeting news release - January 21, 2010
Scoping meeting advertisement (200 kb pdf)
Siting and environment display board (6.9 MB pdf)
Project area map (950 kb pdf)
NEPA Document Manager
Western Area Power Administration
P.O. Box 281213
Lakewood, CO 80228-8213