Renewable resources for Federal agencies
Through the Renewable Resources For Federal Agencies program, Western works with the Department of Energy’s Federal Energy Management Program to help Federal agencies meet renewable energy goals, reduce emissions and foster markets for emerging technologies. RRFA coordinates the purchase of renewable energy and/or its benefits for Federal facilities with a streamlined purchase process that contains costs and gives agencies greater choice in the type of renewable projects they support. Western issues a request for proposals for renewable energy products, and agencies pay for the selected product at cost, plus an administrative fee. FEMP funding may be available to cover some or all of the administrative costs of acquiring renewable resources from suppliers—an additional savings to participants.
Western issues Request for Proposals for renewable energy certificates (RECs) for Federal agencies. Proposals are due by COB Aug. 9, 2013. Read more.
Federal agencies purchase renewable resources for many reasons:
- Manage exposure to fluctuating energy prices
- Support economic development
- Improve the environment
- Improve national energy security through increased use of domestic renewable fuels
- Meet renewable energy goals set in the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and Executive Orders 13423 and 13514
- Demonstrate Federal leadership by supporting a green economy
RRFA makes the purchase process easier for Federal agencies by:
- Increasing options available for acquiring renewable resources
- Acquiring “new” renewable resources that agencies need to meet requirements of Section 203 of EPAct 2005
- Using Western’s long-term power marketing authority to assist in developing renewable energy projects on Federal facilities or Federal lands
Federal agencies that purchase renewable power may also be eligible to join the Environmental Protection Agency's Green Power Partnership, a voluntary program to reduce the environmental impact of electricity generation by promoting renewable energy.
Download the program brochure.
Other Western services to help your agency meet its sustainability goals