We're one of four power marketing administrations within the U.S. Department of Energy whose role is to market and transmit wholesale electricity from multi-use water projects. Our service area encompasses a 15-state region of the central and western U.S. where our more than 17,000 circuit mile transmission system carries electricity from 56 hydropower plants operated by the Bureau of Reclamation, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the International Boundary and Water Commission. We also market power from the Navajo Generating Station coal-fired plant near Page, Ariz. Together, these plants have an installed capacity of 10,504 megawatts. We sell our power to preference customers such as Federal and state agencies, cities and towns, rural electric cooperatives, public utility districts, irrigation districts and Native American tribes. They, in turn, provide retail electric service to millions of consumers in the West.
Learn more about what we do in our How Western Does Business guide (PDF), our most recent annual report (PDF) and our 2014 State of Western’s Assets (PDF).
Our Mission: Market and deliver clean, renewable, reliable, cost-based federal hydroelectric power and related services
Our Vision: Continue to provide premier power marketing and transmission services to our customers, as well as contribute to enhancing America's energy security and sustaining our nation's economic vitality
Want a hard copy of Strategic Roadmap 2024? Email us your name and mailing address.
- Honesty: We believe in honest interactions and expect the highest standards of personal and organizational integrity.
- Respect and trust: We are committed to a workplace that values each employee. We nurture each other by respecting and trusting individuals; benefiting from their unique personalities, backgrounds and talents; and recognizing their diverse roles within Western.
- Communication: We foster open communication and feedback among individuals and groups by creating a positive work environment free of intimidation and reprisal. We listen to and value each other’s views.
- Quality: We achieve quality through continuous improvement of our processes, products and services. We reward creativity, productivity and excellence.
- Environment, Safety and Health: We are committed to an accident-free and healthy workplace. We believe in protecting and enhancing the environment and that these investments are sound business practices. Environmental excellence and workplace safety must be fully integrated into the operation of all Western’s programs.
- Service: We are in service to our Nation, our region and our customers. We serve the needs of the public and manage the resources under our stewardship in a cost-effective and environmentally sensitive manner. We listen to our customers and value their satisfaction.
More information about Western's operations can be found in our Newsroom, fact sheets and publications.